TNR Editor Talks & Book Signing: Michael Eric Dyson, Tears We Cannot Stop
Where: Housing Works Bookstore Cafe
126 Crosby St.
212-966-0466 Price: Free
Click here to buy tickets or for more information from the venue's website
See other events in these categories:
Join New Republic editor ERIC BATES and MICHAEL ERIC DYSON, author, Georgetown professor and New Republic contributing editor, in conversation about Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America—Dyson’s urgent, heartfelt, and eloquent new book on race relations in the United States.
In this conversation, Bates and Dyson will cover some of the central themes reflected in the book, including:
- Dyson’s decision to write Tears We Cannot Stop as a “fiery sermon and an unabashedly emotional, personal appeal” instead of employing a more academic approach
- the use of humiliation, shame, and terror in suppressing black communities
- the importance of acknowledging black grievances as a first step towards change
- how white Americans can rise up in defense of African Americans and
- the meaning of Dyson’s quote “What’s good for black folks is good for America”
- the new administration and what it means for race relations
- further discussion about police brutality, combating injustice and inequality
Read Dyson’s excerpt for the New Republic here: TEARS WE CANNOT STOP
Copies of Tears We Cannot Stop will be available for purchase at the event courtesy of WORD Bookstores, and a book signing will commence after the talk.
Attendees will receive a complimentary beverage and a New Republic tote.
Michael Eric Dyson is one of America’s premier public intellectuals. He occupies the distinguished position of University Professor of Sociology at Georgetown University, has been an ordained minister for 35 years, is a contributing opinion writer for The New York Times, and is a contributing editor for the New Republic and ESPN’s The Undefeated. Ebony magazine named him one of the 100 Most Influential African Americans and one of the 150 most powerful blacks in the nation.
Eric Bates is the editor of the New Republic. His work as a journalist has sparked significant reforms and earned many of the profession’s highest honors, including seven National Magazine Awards. Prior to the New Republic, he served as the editor-in-chief of Southern Exposure, investigative editor of Mother Jones, and executive editor of Rolling Stone.