‘400 Years of the World Trade Center Site, From Beavers to Bankers’ Webinar
When Europeans settled on the southern tip of the island of Manhattan in the 1620s for its rich natural resources, little did they know that the area would become one of the most important neighborhoods in all of New York City. From the thriving beaver trade of the early Dutch settlers to the heart of the world’s financial system, it’s time to delve into the incredible story of the World Trade Center site throughout the past 400 years.
Join New York Adventure Club as we uncover the birth, growth, destruction, and rebirth of the World Trade Center site since the 1600s, and how it transformed from shipping wharves and markets to the high tech office towers of today.
Led by Emma Guest-Consales, Ph.D. — President of the Guides Association of New York City and expert on the World Trade Center’s history and architecture — this virtual experience will include:
- An overview of colonial New York City, including buildings like St. Paul’s Chapel, the oldest building in Manhattan in continuous use
- A discussion around the 18th and 19th century port of New York, and the significance of its Hudson River location
- The growth of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and the decision to construct the World Trade Center on fill and reclaimed land
- The design of the Twin Towers and Trade Center in the late 1960s and 1970s
- 9/11, its aftermath, and the design of the 9/11 Memorial
- A survey of the new World Trade Center, with a focus on One World Trade, from its engineering to symbolism
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Emma — any and all questions about the World Trade Center site throughout the past 400 years are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a weekBuy tickets/get more info now