‘A History of Pop Art: The Most Modern Art’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
Why has Pop Art — a movement initially ridiculed by art critics and historians — outlasted them all to become, arguably, modern art’s most “modern” art? This is the story of the 20th century’s most controversial art style, from the early days of being labeled as mere artistic plagiarism, to eventually commanding some of the highest art auction prices in the entire art world.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the verbal and visual history of Pop Art, and analyze the foundational works and artists — like Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, and Mel Ramos — that have come to define the modern art style.
Led by pop culture historian Arlen Schumer, our virtual deep dive into the Pop Art universe will include:
- A discussion of the definition of Pop Art: the idea that everyday objects, motifs, and ideas from our commercial culture could be legitimate areas of artistic study and exploration
- The origins of the Pop Art movement, and how its signature look of bold primary colors, oversized printing dots, and graphic faces and heroic figures took shape
- The significant role Andy Warhol played in Roy Lichtenstein’s early career breakthrough
- Why Mel Ramos deserves the very criticism that’s always been leveled at Lichtenstein
- How works by Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, and James Rosenquist fit in Pop Art’s story
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Arlen — any and all questions about Pop Art are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Arlen Schumer, MFA is one of the foremost historians of comic book art, named by Comic Book Artist magazine in 1998 as “one of the more articulate and enthusiastic advocates of comic book art in America.” His coffee table book, The Silver Age of Comic Book Art, won the Independent Publishers Book Award for best Popular Culture book.
Schumer is also one of comic book art’s most idiosyncratic practitioners, creating award-winning illustrations for the advertising and editorial markets.
“One of the country’s pre-eminent authorities on comics and culture.” —Jon Meyerson, Producer, ABC News’ 20/20
“Nobody speaks about comics with more authority, understanding and love than Arlen does. He is to comics what Pauline Kael was to movies.” —Clem Robins, letterer for DC and Marvel ComicsBuy tickets/get more info now