‘Bon Voyage! 200 Years of Luxury Travel’ Webinar
While traveling in the 21st century is as easy as taking a light carryon onto a commercial airliner capable of flying halfway around the globe, world travel leading up to the mid-20th-century was instead a rare luxury enjoyed by a privileged few. But what did such a journey entail, and what was vacationing like before globalization? With the help of personal diaries, letters, and rare archival items, it’s time to explore 18th- and 19th-century luxury travel through the incredible global adventures of two prominent families with lots of time and money on their hands — bon voyage!
Join New York Adventure Club as we embark on a digital journey through 200 years of voyages and vacations taken by the Livingstons and Keans, two of New Jersey’s most affluent and prominent families with direct ties to our nation’s founding fathers.
Led by Hannah Gaston — Coordinator of School Programs at Liberty Hall Museum and a passionate educator — this virtual trip back in time, and around the world, include:
- An overview of the Livingston and Kean families, and importance of the Liberty Hall Museum in American history
- A digital showcase of over five voyages and vacations taken by the Livingston and Kean families between 1780 and 1950, from California, Spain, and beyond
- Personal anecdotes of the families’ traveling experiences taken from diaries, sketchbooks, and letters
- Rarely seen archival items, including hand-colored postcards, travel tickets, maps, souvenirs, and more
- A discussion of how luxury travel has changed over the past 200 years, and a comparison of today’s popular vacation destinations with those of yesteryears
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Hannah — any and all questions about the Kean and Livingston families, their trips, or Liberty Hall Museum, are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week