‘Brighton Beach: From Old NYC Resort Neighborhood to Little Odessa’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
Before the iconic rides and famous hot dogs of Brooklyn’s Coney Island stole the spotlight, the main hub of beachside entertainment in New York City was located one mile east in a neighborhood called Brighton Beach. It’s time to explore the stories, legends, and mysteries of New York’s original resort enclave, and how it became the local getaway destination for well-to-do New Yorkers for decades to come.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the history of Brighton Beach, a beachside neighborhood in Brooklyn that was home to New York City’s great resorts of the 19th century, which featured everything from race tracks to gambling halls.
Led by NYC Licensed guide Deborah Blau, our virtual trip to what was once known as “Brooklyn’s Riviera” will include:
- How Brighton Beach evolved from a small beachside neighborhood into the ultimate staycation destination for upper-middle-class New Yorkers in the 1800s
- A look at the million-dollar resorts and the entrepreneurs who built them
- A taste of the myriad of entertainment options at these resorts, including hot air balloon shows, oompah bands, race tracks, vaudeville, gambling halls, wild animal shows, and more
- Bathing fashions and beliefs throughout the centuries
- How Russians became the largest diaspora of any NYC neighborhood for one nationality, earning it the nickname “Little Odessa”
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A session with Deborah — any and all questions about Brighton Beach are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Once registered, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay will be available after the experience for all registered guests
About Deborah Blau
Deborah is a licensed tour NYC guide, artist and Coney Island “Fan Girl”. She grew up over 700 miles from Coney Island, near another beach, in Nova Scotia, Canada. Though she is a freckled redhead – and not much of a swimmer, she loves Brighton Beach for the heady mix of sea air, delicious food – and that sense of mystery that she finds under the dark rattle of the elevated train.Buy tickets/get more info now