‘Dawn of Tango: The Untold Story of its Black Founding Fathers’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
If it wasn’t for Argentina’s 19th century black community, there would be no tango, period. After all, the style’s distinct dance and music were not only brought over from Africa, but developed by talented black musicians and dancers who would go on to be its founding fathers. So if this is the true story, then why is it not widely known? It’s time to reveal the long-concealed black influences on the dramatic dance of love.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the true origins of tango, and why the seminal contribution of the style’s black dancers and musicians has been largely omitted from the history books.
Led by tango teacher and lecturer Pierre Baston, our digital investigation into the black roots and evolution of tango will include:
- The dawn of tango, which emerged from Argentina’s 19th-century African population, who combined African candombe and European polka and waltz
- The outstanding black pioneers of tango dancing, and how they diffused the dance to Argentina’s white population
- The prolific black tango composers, musicians, and lyricists who made a classic conga drum rhythm, known as the “Habanera,” the heartbeat of tango music
- An analysis of today’s tango movements and how they’re directly attributed to African dance and music
- Theories behind the “disappearance” of Argentina’s black population beginning in the early 20th century, and why their vital contribution to tango’s style, music, and popularity is virtually unknown
- The 21st century movement to give Argentina’s black tango roots the recognition it deserves
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Pierre — any and all questions about tango are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Pierre studied African history for a time while an undergraduate at Yale University, and he earned a Masters Degree in Film Directing from the American Film Institute. He has pursued his passion for tango in many visits to Argentina since 2001, and holds 2 certificates from the Master’s Program of the Escuela Argentina de Tango in Buenos Aires. An inventor, Pierre has been awarded several patents in the US, Japan and Argentina for his innovative travel brewers for coffee, tea, and mate, Argentina’s national drink. Pierre teaches and organizes tango in his native Philadelphia.Buy tickets/get more info now