‘Ellis Island: The Gateway to Freedom’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
How did a tiny island off the coast of Manhattan become the busiest immigration station in the United States, where 20% of American citizens can trace their family roots to? This is the story of Ellis Island and how it defined what it means to be an American, the nation of immigrants.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the incredible story of Ellis Island — between 1892-1924, this 27-acre island in New York Harbor processed over 12 million immigrants from around the world seeking a new life in the United States of America.
Led by NYC Tour Guide Michael Morgenthal — whose great grandparents immigrated through Ellis Island from Ukraine in 1905 — our virtual experience surrounding Ellis Island and the immigration experience will include:
- Immigration prior to the opening of Ellis Island, and why the Federal Government decided to open multiple immigration stations throughout the country
- The harrowing journey of immigrants, from fleeing their homeland, to a barrage of medical/legal/financial examinations on Ellis Island, to stepping foot on to Manhattan island
- The criteria used to admit entry to the United States, and what happened to those who were denied
- Why Ellis Island was abandoned as an immigration point of entry in 1954, only 30 years after it became active
- Ellis Island in modern times, from becoming our National Immigration Museum in 1990, to touring the island’s abandoned hospital complex, to its relevance today when debating the issue of immigration
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Mike — any and all questions about Ellis Island are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a weekBuy tickets/get more info now