‘Grande Cuisine to Grand Opera: The History of French Food & Opera’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
Next time you dine at your favorite restaurant, or go to the opera dressed to the nines, you can thank France for that — that’s because without French ingenuity and a passion for the truly grand experiences in the kitchen and on-stage, neither would exist (or at least be as exceptional). But how did France create, develop, and export some of the world’s most beloved cultural activities? It’s time to journey back in history from 17th century to 19th century France to see how one country’s cooking and opera took the world by storm.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the intriguing worlds of classic Parisian food and opera, and how these two great aspects of French culture evolved and intersected over the past 400 years.
Led by Carl Raymond — food historian, opera aficionado, and former Metropolitan Opera supernumerary — our deep dive into some of French food & opera’s greatest moments, both on stage and off, will include:
- A discussion around the menus and fanciful dishes that would have appeared on some of France’s most elegant tables, including the court of Versailles
- How opera evolved from the French royalty’s love of ballet and dance, with a digital showcase of some of Paris’ most famous theatres for opera including the famed Palais Garnier — Paris’ great 19th palace of opera
- France’s lasting culinary legacy on the world, from giving rise to the restaurant to producing Marie-Antoine Carême, the world’s first true celebrity chef
- Shocking stories from within France’s high society, including a 17th century French aristocrat who went to prison for his gold dinner service, and a chef who committed suicide when a delivery of fish was late for the King’s table
- Giocchino Rossini’s strong influence on the development of opera in Paris, and his legacy as one of the most prolific Italian opera composers of all time
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A session with Carl — any and all questions about French food and opera are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Once registered, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay will be available after the experience for all registered guests