Hair—A Ritual for Creativity and Strength Workshop with Dr. Beau Lotto and the Lab of Misfits
Where: Rubin Museum of Art
150 W. 17th St.
212-620-5000 Price: $45-$195
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
Hair has always had deep symbolic resonance: Samson loses his strength when shorn; a Buddhist nun shaves her head to demonstrate her separation from material concerns; the hair of Blade Runner’s Nexus-7 replicant Rachael Tyrell loses its rigidity at the moment she discovers her humanity. Even relationships with our stylists can outlive those with our romantic partners.The material on top of our heads is dead. Why is it so meaningful?
Hair is a central element of our identity, whether we use it or lose it. This workshop introduces a ritual that leverages the inherent transformative power of hair—no matter its length, shape, thickness, or absence. Part of a larger science experiment conducted with neuroscientist Dr. Beau Lotto and his Lab of Misfits, this evening will give you the tools to recognize your inhibitions and clear the path to what’s beyond: more freedom to consciously create a life of your own choosing.
What to expect:
Please note: Hair will not be cut or washed!
- The Lab of Misfits will lead the audience in perception exercises
- Storytelling around hair as identity will follow
- The audience will split in two groups:
- Experience ticket holders will be personally guided through a hair visualization ritual
- Learner ticket holders will be taught the hair ritual in groups
- The group will reconvene to discuss the experience. How have their perceptions changed? How can they continue this ritual at home?
- Experience ticket holders will be part of a larger neuroscientific study in a before-and-after test. The highlight of this experience is a 20-minute one-on-one with a hairstylist in the Museum’s galleries.
- Everyone will come away with a new understanding of why we see what we do and what blocks us from seeing differently.
Experience Ticket: $195
A stylist personally guides you through a hair ritual in the Museum’s galleries + reception + talk and storytelling
Learning Ticket: $45
Reception + talk and storytellingBuy tickets/get more info now