Knitting 101 Virtual Workshop: Learning How to Keep Calm & Knit On
Looking to take your mind off the real world through a relaxing age-old craft that can be practiced just about anytime, anywhere? Once you pick up the needles and yarn, we’ll take care of the rest — solution to boredom, anxiety, and lack of awesome hobbies, here we come.
Join New York Adventure Club for a beginner’s knitting adventure that will give you the skills and confidence you need to learn the basics of an amazing craft, while uncovering its powerful mental and physical health benefits along the way.
Led by knitting teacher and pattern designer Shaina Billow, alongside author & mental health advocate Helaina Hovitz Regal, our uplifting virtual knitting experience — which is sure to be full of positive vibes and laughs — will include:
- A discussion around knitting’s cultural relevance in modern times, from the PussyHat movement in Washington, to blankets for the homeless, to its emergence in the LGBTQ community as an alternative to the bar scene
- A primer on the power of knitting for mental health, and how you can practice it nearly anywhere
- A step by step tutorial on how to cast on and make knit stitches in the English or American style of knitting — don’t worry left-handed knitters, we’re here for you!
- Pro knitting tips and tricks throughout the experience, including how to bind off / finish stitches to how to pick up a dropped stitch
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Shaina and Helaina on all things knitting!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*To purchase a knitting kit, please see the ‘Knitting Kit Order Options’ section below
**Once registered, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
***For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
****A full replay will be available after the experience for all registered guests
Knitting Kit Order Options
- Amazon Prime is offering speedy delivery on separates and on kits. Search the above individually, or opt for a kit, there is a kit on Amazon from KnitPicks: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07473DTPZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_MZ1IEbZF1KNWG
- Other popular stores online still delivering include WEBS and LoveCrafts—search under size 8 bamboo needles and worsted weight yarn class
- Joanne’s and Michaels are craft stores also offering curbside pickup and currently shipping
- Try finding your local yarn shop to see if they offer curbside pick up—just call them and tell them what you need.
- Size US 8 (5 mm) knitting needles (we recommend straight bamboo needles) be sure to pick this size from the drop down or specifically find this needle online. (Note: if you see needles that look like this, and you can get them in time, go for it, it doesn’t matter that they’re attached!)
- Worsted weight yarn: 2 balls, or about 400 yards/200 grams, it’s ok if you come in a little more or a little less. Any fiber is fine, if you are sensitive to wool, perhaps go for cotton, linen, or acrylic, silk or bamboo, 100% merino wool is usually also very soft. **Make sure it is in a ball, not a skein, that twisted up rope looking formation is not your friend this time around!)
- Pick your favorite happy color! We suggest something in a solid lighter shade vs. a dark shade like black or blue or very dark grey this way you can see what you’re doing clearly!
- If you already have yarn and needles at home, use that!