‘Mary Pickford: The World’s First Major Movie Star’ Webinar
Interested in romance and nostalgia, early Hollywood and the Oscars, swashbuckling heroes and plucky heroines, and rags to riches triumph? Well then, get ready to follow the fascinating career of the world’s first movie star — one whose impact on Hollywood a century ago is still felt until this very day.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the life of Mary Pickford, the world’s first major movie star and co-founder of early movie studio United Artists.
Led by filmmaker/producer/writer Michelle Cohen, this digital showcase of America’s first cinematic superstar — and her complex relationships with Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, and D.W. Griffith — will include:
- An overview of the humble beginnings of the film industry in the woods of New Jersey
- The story of Mary’s rise to fame from a penniless pioneer in a new medium to an astute businesswoman and actress (who by 1916, was earning $10,000 a WEEK!)
- The profound impact Mary had on Hollywood, and how her decisions made over a century ago still influence today’s business and celebrity machine
- A discussion around Mary’s personal exploration and struggleswith her family, heady achievements, and romantic intrigues
- Historic video clips and photos showcasing her onscreen and behind-the-screen success
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Michelle — any and all questions about Mary Pickford are welcomed and encouraged!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Michelle is a multi-faceted writer, director, performer, producer, and intuitive who brings unique insight, wit and expertise to her work.
Offering a variety of projects, services, master class workshops and products, Michelle moves seamlessly from the entertainment industry to the written word to the invisible world. With a deep belief that art and life should be empowering as well as fun, Michelle and her varied projects have been featured on programs including CNN, Good Morning America, and NPR’s “All Things Considered.”
Michelle produced the off-Broadway mega-hit, Schoolhouse Rock Live!. Her published books include Of Course You Can Sing!, Downloads From The Universe, Actually There Is Something Under The Bed, and MenOpop, a Menopause Pop-up and Activity Book.
Michelle has been working on a feature-length film on the life of silent-movie mega-star, Mary Pickford, and those of her fellow United Artists, Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks and D.W. Griffith.Buy tickets/get more info now