Of Nature: Symposium
How do artists engage communities, increase awareness about urban ecology and conduct projects that remediate environmental problems? Be part of the conversation at this all-day symposium, which brings together wide-ranging thinkers and spotlights New York City projects with a focus on the Bronx. Wave Hill is convening a day of discussions to accompany the retrospective Jackie Brookner: Of Nature. The topics and presenters reflect her interest in collaboration, water, remediation and community action and brings together a range of approaches and methods from artists of different generations. The format includes a mix of dialogues, short presentations, with time for exchange and conversation.
- Lenore Malen: Jackie Brookner as a Force
- Mierle Laderman Ukeles (artist) and Amy Lipton (guest co-curator): Remediation as a Strategy
- Hana Iverson (artist and curator), The Breath Project
- Jan Mun (artist), Greenpoint Bioremediation Project
- City as Living Laboratory Projects, artist/designer led projects that address specific environmental concerns in the Bronx: Bob Braine (artist), Habitat Fountains; Juanli Carrión (artist), Outer Seed Shadow #03; Alexander Levi (architect, Slo Architecture), Finding Tibbets Brook; Mary Mattingly (artist), Dewitt Clinton Food Forest
- Alicia Grullón (artist), Percent for Green
- Stacy Levy (artist) and Jennifer McGregor (Wave Hill Senior Curator): Water as an activator
$40/$36 Wave Hill Member/$30 Student. Ticket price includes admission to the grounds, box lunch and a closing reception in Glyndor Gallery. Registration is required. Seats are limited.
Glyndor Gallery will be open from 9:30AM to 5PM for participants to see Jackie Brookner: Of Nature, and the Sunroom Project Space installation by Denise Treizman.
Wave Hill, 649 W. 249th St., Bronx, NY 10471Buy tickets/get more info now