Take Me Out To The Ballgame — 1864 Style
Where: Prospect Park
95 Prospect Park W.
646-393-9031 Price: $23
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
Join Atlas Obscura to go behind the scenes (and back in time) for an exclusive meetup with old school players and a game of 1864-rules “base ball” in historic Prospect Park.
Before there were Yankees, Mets or even Brooklyn Dodgers, baseball was played throughout New York City in open fields, sometimes before thousands of spectators. It was here that the modern game truly began.
The storied Atlantics Base Ball Club will be our guides through the spring day. The Atlantics team’s many claims to fame include: first recognized “Champions of base ball,” the first team to visit the White House and the first team to appear on a baseball card!
Exclusively for the Atlas Obscura audience, these authentically clad “ballists” will meet our group ahead of game to explain the rules, then give guests a chance to check out the specialty equipment and team artifacts. We’ll also learn about the rich baseball past of Prospect Park. Best treat of all—we’ll enjoy an actual game and watch this historic style of play come to life in all its 1860’s glory. This is one of their only few games in the five boroughs, so it is indeed a special event.
As you’ll see, the rules were a bit different than what we see today, and definitely creative. Imagine a game where the batter cannot leave the batter’s box, or where you can be called out if the ball bounces just once and is caught. And, of course, no gloves allowed! It’s not your parents’ baseball game—it’s not even your grandparents’! We guarantee a “No Steroids, No Gloves” kind of event. Play Ball!
- Brooklyn field location and directions to be disclosed prior to the event.
- Event starts promptly at 10am, game starts at 11am.
- Gametime runs around 1.5 hours.
- This is a family friendly event! Children 12 and under are free.
- You may bring picnic items, blankets, etc. No alcohol allowed as per park rules.
- All guests will receive complimentary ballpark peanuts at the game.
- This event is outdoors in open air. Please dress appropriately. If weather causes delays or a rain out, we will communicate with guests via email.
- Anyone wishing to dress in Victorian style attire is welcome to do so.
Email Larissa Hayden at [email protected].Buy tickets/get more info now