‘The Bowery: Rise, Fall, & Resurgence of NYC’s Oldest Street’ Webinar
While every street in NYC has a story, the oldest of them all doesn’t disappoint. For over four centuries, the Manhattan corridor of the Bowery has taken on many personas, ranging from a Native American trail, to a hub of middle-class entertainment; a shadowland of hard-knuckle saloons to a musical and cultural hotspot. This is the story of one of New York City’s most storied neighborhoods, from the good, the bad, and downright spooky.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the history of the Bowery, a 400-year-old thoroughfare through Manhattan that shares a colorful history with New York City — though a history that people of yesteryears preferred to forget.
Led by historian Stephen Paul DeVillo, our digital showcase of the once-notorious Bowery and its curious history will include:
– A historical overview of the Bowery and how it evolved from a rural pathway to the “Boulevard of the Forgotten”
– A deep dive into the Bowery’s often raucous and scandalous history, from infamous saloons to dime museums, and street gangs to places of ill repute
– A look at New York’s early theater scene, and colorful characters such as “Peg Leg” Peter Stuyvesant, Harry Houdini, and others
– Historic photos and paintings illustrating the Bowery’s variegated scene over the centuries, including things that remain, and those long gone
– A discussion around today’s Bowery — while it has slowly reclaimed its old heritage as a scene of music and culture, this renaissance is threatened by encroaching hyper-gentrification
– Ghost stories from the infamous stretch
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Stephen — any and all questions about the Bowery are welcomed and encouraged!
See you there! $10.
*Once registered, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay will be available after the experience for all registered guests
Local historian Stephen DeVillo is the author of The Bowery: The Strange History of New York’s Oldest Street and The Bronx River in History and Folklore. In recent years he had led annual Jane’s Walks for the Municipal Art Society along the Bowery and elsewhere, and the Bronx River Rambles for the Bronx River Alliance. A lifelong walker and urban explorer, he is fascinated by the big histories to be found in small places, and seeks out their obscure and half-forgotten tales, tragedies, and folklore.