‘The Famous Gilded Age Balls that Forever Changed NYC’ Webinar
A dress threaded with lights at the dawn of electricity. Suits studded with diamond buttons. Costumes embroidered with jewels that had belonged to empresses. When NYC’s top socialites from a century ago wanted to entertain, they didn’t just pop some champaign and serve chips and guac — instead, they spent today’s equivalent of millions of dollars on a single party to prove to NYC’s movers and shakers that they belonged. It’s time to go back in time to the Gilded Age and explore some of the most extravagant parties and balls that were ever thrown in New York City, and how their legacies still live on today.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore a collection of some of the most famous (and infamous) Gilded Age balls ever hosted in New York City, and how the extreme amount of wealth flaunted at each either earned them great admiration or animosity from the public and press.
Led by Art Historian, Curator, and Art Advisor Kristen Oehlrich, MBA, Ph.D., our virtual exploration of these notorious Gilded Age extravaganzas will include:
- The significance of a ball in NYC socialite circles, and how they differ from today’s galas and parties
- A look at some of NYC’s most famous Gilded Age era balls, including Mrs. Vanderbilt’s 1883 Fancy Dress Ball, the Bradley-Martin Ball of 1897, and the Hyde Ball of 1905
- A discussion around the facts, figures, and drama surrounding each ball, from who attended and what they wore, to the fanciful decor and extravagant culinary dishes
- Rare photos and illustrations depicting these epic evenings
- The public reaction and reception of Gilded Age balls, including press reviews and critiques, photographs, and artist renderings
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Kristen — any and all questions about Gilded Age balls are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a weekBuy tickets/get more info now