‘The Graves, Burials, and Skeletons of Northern Manhattan’ Webinar
It’s a fact: People have lived and died in northern Manhattan for thousands of years. And up until New York’s street grid grading and paving reached the tip of Manhattan 100 years ago, burial sites — both known and forgotten — once dotted the hills of Inwood. From fallen Revolutionary War soldiers to Lenape, Dutch, and African slave burial sites, this is the story of our former New Yorkers and their ancient remains.
Join New York Adventure Club on the eve of Halloween as we unearth the history of Northern Manhattan’s dead, and explore the different degrees of respect New York City has given to these hundreds of skeletons over the past century.
Led by Don Rice — author, local historian, and Dyckman Farmhouse Museum Alliance Board President — our virtual journey to the Manhattan neighborhood of Inwood and its numerous burial sites will include:
- The discovery of a revolutionary war burial ground, and where the dead still rest today
- The disinterment of over 400 graves belonging to early Inwood residents and landowners — and what happened to all of the bodies
- A close look at various burial sites in the area, from graves containing Lenape tribesmen and their dogs, to a forgotten graveyard on Dyckman Street, to a former cemetery containing the neighborhood’s enslaved population
- The different degrees of respect given to exhumed skeletal remains, including being respectfully reburied, sent to museums, buried beneath streets, and taken home as ghastly “souvenirs”
- Newspaper photos and scholarly journals surrounding the unearthed skeletons throughout the decades — and the reason why so many skeletons have been discovered
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A session with Don — any and all questions about Inwood are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Once registered, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay will be available after the experience for all registered guestsBuy tickets/get more info now