‘The Great Brooklyn Sugar & Coffee War: A Delicious Rivalry’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
At the turn of the 20th century in New York’s Kings County, no two were more powerful than Coffee King John Arbuckle and Sugar King Henry Osborne Havemeyer — after all, 86% of the nation’s coffee and 98% of its sugar were roasted and refined in Brooklyn. But when Arbuckle decided to also get into the sugar industry, the Great Brooklyn Sugar & Coffee War had begun, resulting in what the Brooklyn Eagle newspaper described as “one of the greatest trade fights that has ever been known.”
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the history of coffee and sugar in Brooklyn, and how these sweet and stimulating commodities — and their bitter industry rivalry — helped turn New York City into a global financial powerhouse.
Led by writer, historian, and New York City tour guide Lucie Levine, our unique virtual experience will include:
- How coffee helped kick off the American Revolution
- The story of how coffee and sugar became the two of largest commodities on the Brooklyn Waterfront, earning the nickname “America’s grocery and hardware store”
- Why we can thank coffee and sugar for the genesis of the New York Stock Exchange
- Where to find remnants of Brooklyn’s coffee and sugar empires
- A discussion of how the former sugar and coffee empires on the East River helped shape the waterfront’s current revitalization
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Lucie — any and all questions about coffee and sugar are welcomed and encouraged!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a weekBuy tickets/get more info now