‘The Rockefeller Family and Transformation of Midtown Manhattan’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
In the midst of the Great Depression during the 1930s, American financier John D Rockefeller Jr. pulled off a development miracle — the construction of 17 million square feet of brand new leasable space in the heart of Manhattan. While building was one thing, leasing was another — to make that a reality, clever themes and schemes were hatched to seduce prosperous corporations and institutions to take up residence in their new spaces. This is the story of how the Rockefeller Family transformed Midtown Manhattan into one of the world’s leading business districts — and how companies and governments leasing space on their properties throughout New York used them in shocking and secretive ways.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the incredible history and political influence of the Rockefeller Family, and the remarkable affect of their Midtown Manhattan real estate developments on the nation’s politics, wealth, and wellbeing.
Led by NYC Tour Guide Deborah Zelcer of ProwlerNYC Walking Tours, our virtual experience surrounding little known facts of one of the world’s most prominent real estate families will include:
- A brief overview of the Rockefeller Family and Rockefeller Center, including the near-financial debacle behind the site’s creation
- The influence of Rockefeller Center on popular culture, including Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged novels
- Incredible stories surrounding Rockefeller Center’s role in British and United States clandestine activities during World War II
- A discussion of the notable artwork woven throughout their New York developments, with a focus on its meaning against the backdrop of evolving political views in a pre-WWII
- An introduction to the resident Titans — mythological and actual — that helped create, sustain, and ensure the continuity of the prominence of American social, economic and political strength the world over
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Deborah — any and all questions about the Rockefeller Family and properties are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
ProwlerNYC Walking Tours are immensely entertaining while being information packed. Led by design professional and urban enthusiast Deborah Zelcer, the details of the political, social, economic and aesthetic influences that have shaped New York are revealed in story telling fashion. Join in to discover secrets of the city that amaze newcomers and seasoned veterans of the metropolis.Buy tickets/get more info now