‘The Secrets of the New Jersey Palisades’ Webinar
The ruins of an abandoned mansion, a haunted clock tower in the middle of NJ’s wealthiest neighborhood, a scenic overlook on a 500-foot-high cliff — it’s time to explore the secrets of a narrow stretch of land right across from New York City like never before.
Join New York Adventure Club as we embark on a virtual exploration of the New Jersey Palisades, NJ, a line of steep cliffs along the west side of the lower Hudson River in northeastern New Jersey and southeastern New York formed nearly 200 million years ago.
Led by licensed tour guide and palisades resident Maggie Browne, our virtual showcase will include:
– A brief history of the Palisades in modern times, from when small fishing communities and bathing houses lined its shores to how it became one of the most expensive zip codes in NJ
– How the George Washington Bridge came to be — when completed in 1931, it became the world’s largest suspension bridge, and first land bridge between New Jersey and New York
– The 101 on “devil nuts” and why they line the hidden beaches on the Hudson River
– Photos of the abandoned ruins of Cliffdale Manor, a fifteen-room manor house built in 1911 for George A. Zabriskie, New York representative for the Minneapolis-based Pillsbury flour mills
– The local legend of Devil’s Tower, a stone clock tower originally designed for sugar baron Manuel Rionda (1854–1943) that is claimed to be haunted
Stick around afterward for a Q&A with Maggie, who will be ready to answer any-and-all questions about the NJ Palisades!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Once registered, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay will be available after the experience for all registered guestsBuy tickets/get more info now