‘The Secrets of TriBeCa: Lofts, Artists, & Alleyways’ Webinar
While the Manhattan neighborhood of TriBeCa is known today for its namesake film festival, celebrity sightings, and high-end private homes, it was anything but for nearly 300 years. This is the real story of the sailors, merchants, and artists that once called this neighborhood home, and the historical remnants of its artistic and industrial past — if you know where to look.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the rich history and story of TriBeCa (“Triangle Below Canal Street”), a New York City neighborhood that can trace its roots back to the old Dutch days when the land was known as New Amsterdam.
Led by NYC tour guide and TriBeCa native Gardiner Comfort, our virtual journey into this fascinating and eclectic small corner of Manhattan’s “Lower West Side” will include:
- How New York tamed the TriBeCa landscape and its original wetlands to suit its expansion
- A discussion around the neighborhood’s rise with the creation of Washington Market in 1880, once the city’s main retail and wholesale food distribution point filled with seed, spice, and cheese importers
- The importance of Tribeca as a center of import, with a focus on the maritime industry, the piers, and longshoremen
- TriBeCa’s unique architecture, from its patchwork of landmark designation to the fragility of beautiful buildings in a business-minded city
- The celebration of artists who settled in unused industrial spaces, established their community, and influenced the city for years to come
- Rare photos from Gardiner’s personal collection, and untold stories from his experience growing up in TriBeCa
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Gardiner — any and all questions about TriBeCa, or his personal stories of growing up in an artist’s loft, are welcomed and encouraged!
See you there! $10.
*Once registered, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay will be available after the experience for all registered guestsBuy tickets/get more info now