The Untold Story of Seltzer with Virtual Egg Cream Happy Hour
Throughout history, seltzer’s fizzy flavor has attracted a loyal and passionate following that often defies logic. Fast forward to today, and seltzer is more popular than ever before — a true testament to the growing desires, and cultural expectations, for a bubbly drinking experience. But how exactly did such an ordinary drink become so extraordinary? This is the story of seltzer and the (profoundly delicious) impact it’s had on New York, America, and the world.
Join New York Adventure Club as we take a deep dive into the untold story of seltzer, and how this unassuming drink has come to embody everything from personal health to self-identity.
Led by seltzer expert and author Barry Joseph, who penned his award-winning book Seltzertopia after 14 years of research, this highly interactive online presentation about the beloved fizzy beverage will include:
- The origin story of seltzer and the true meaning behind its name
- Seltzer’s cultural transformation from medicine for the elite to refreshment for the masses — and the crucial role played by seltzer men and women in the process
- A discussion around carbonated water terminology to uncover the differences between seltzer, sparkling water, mineral water, and club soda
- The rise, fall, and recent resurgence of the seltzer industry, and a conversation about Brooklyn Seltzer Boys, a fourth-generation family-owned business that is the last remaining seltzer factory in New York City
- The 101 on how to mix an egg cream from home according to Mel Brooks — follow along by gathering the drink’s three ingredients (seltzer, chocolate syrup, and milk) or by having an official Egg Cream Kit delivered right to your doorstep (see below for more details)
Afterward, with perfect egg creams in hand, we’ll have a virtual egg cream happy hour and Q&A with Barry!
See you there! $10.
*An official Egg Cream Kit from Brooklyn Seltzer Boys includes 1 t-shirt (S – XXL), 1 U-Bet Syrup, 1 Spoon, 1 Egg Cream Glass, and 1 working (and filled) Seltzer Bottle. Please allow 3-5 days for delivery. Seltzer Bottle can be sent back to Brooklyn Seltzer Boys and refilled for $5.
**Once registered, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar*
***For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Chrome and Firefox are the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
Barry Joseph is the VP of Digital Experience at Girl Scouts of the USA. Before that, he was Associate Director for Digital Learning in the Education Department at the American Museum of Natural History and founding Director of the Online Leadership Program at Global Kids. His effervescent expertise has been featured by The Wall Street Journal, NPR s All Things Considered, CBS Morning News, Boston Magazine, The New York Post, and more. He became interested in seltzer s history and cultural impact after writing an article about Sodastream for The Forward in 2004 and receiving an outpouring of responses from readers demonstrating their passion for the fizzy.Buy tickets/get more info now