‘Illusion in Art: Tricking the Eye Throughout the Ages’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
Now You see it, now you don’t! Throughout the centuries, artists have found ways of playing with our perception by stretching and distorting perspective, or creating a weird and unfathomable state where things are not quite what they seem. But where did this art trickery originate from, and how is it being employed today to fool the modern eye? It’s time to be amazed, amused, and fooled by magicians of the art world, who continue to defy the impossible.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the wonderful world of illusion art and the many forms it’s assumed over the past several hundred years, ranging from a novel source of visual entertainment to disguising dangerous political messages.
Led by art historian and magician Bertie Pearce, our deep dive into the mysterious world of illusionistic art will include:
- A look at the most extreme art forms of illusion — Trompe L’Oeil and Grisaille — where the 3-dimensional hyper-reality of these artworks calls on the sense of touch to verify, or contradict, the message conveyed by the eye
- Anamorphic Art — the process of greatly distorting an image only to have it revealed either from a single vantage point or from its reflection in a mirrored surface — and its use to camouflage dangerous political statements, heretical ideas, and even erotic pictures during the 16-19th centuries
- A discussion surrounding some of the most distinctive and bizarre illusion artists of all time, from Giuseppe Arcimboldo, to Renee Magritte, to Rob Gonslaves
- Modern street artists and 3D illusion street painters including Wenner, Mueller, Keer, and Banksy
- Optical Art — a mathematically oriented form — and its rise in popularity during the 1960s thanks to artists like Victor Vasarely and Bridge Riley
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Bertie — any and all questions about illusion art are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Bertie Pearce is a professional magician and entertainer. A Member of The Inner Magic Circle, he has performed all over the world in weird and wonderful places. He lectures extensively, sharing his passion for Magic, Charles Dickens, Victorian Pastimes and Visual Deception.Buy tickets/get more info now