‘James Bond Retrospective: The Sean Connery Legacy’ Webinar
When Sean Connery passed away at the age of 90 in late 2020, the outpouring of accolades, affection, and sentiment for the knighted Scottish actor was tremendous. Looking back at his illustrious career, it’s clear that his legacy began with his unforgettable, immortal, and iconic portrayal of the cinematic secret agent 007, James Bond. It’s time to explore Sean Connery’s epic role as James Bond in one of history’s most successful movie franchises.
Join New York Adventure Club for a retrospective of Sean Connery’s role as James Bond in seven films from the series, which are arguably not only the best of the entire franchise, but represent the beginnings of the modern action film genre itself.
Led by esteemed Bond scholar and pop culture historian Arlen Schumer, this multimedia overview of the seven Connery Bond films will include:
- The origin story of the Bond series, and how it was adapted from Ian Fleming’s spy novels of the 1950s to match the unique symbols and scenarios of the 1960s
- How the Scottish Sean Connery — former bodybuilder and newcomer to the silver screen — landed the coveted role of the iconic British secret service agent
- Why Terence Young, director of three of the first four Bond films, is perhaps more responsible for the shaping of the cinematic version of Bond than the original character in Ian Fleming’s novels
- Answers to long-standing questions about Connery, from why he didn’t act in the sixth Bond film (You Only Live Twice, 1969) — but returned for the seventh (Diamonds are Forever) — to why Connery said “again” to Bond after a dozen-year absence with 1983’s Never Say Never Again
- Behind-the-scenes film clips, production stills, advertising, and promotional materials
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Arlen — any and all questions about Bond are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Arlen Schumer, MFA is one of the foremost historians of comic book art, named by Comic Book Artist magazine in 1998 as “one of the more articulate and enthusiastic advocates of comic book art in America.” His coffee table book, The Silver Age of Comic Book Art, won the Independent Publishers Book Award for best Popular Culture book.
Schumer is also one of comic book art’s most idiosyncratic practitioners, creating award-winning illustrations for the advertising and editorial markets.
“One of the country’s pre-eminent authorities on comics and culture.” —Jon Meyerson, Producer, ABC News’ 20/20
“Nobody speaks about comics with more authority, understanding and love than Arlen does. He is to comics what Pauline Kael was to movies.” —Clem Robins, letterer for DC and Marvel ComicsBuy tickets/get more info now