‘The History of the (Upper) Upper West Side: 95th-116th Street’ Webinar
“They do not call it ‘New York’ for nothing” said a real estate developer once upon a time.
Neighborhoods constantly change and evolve. And no New York City neighborhood has seen more transformation than Manhattan’s Upper West Side, thanks in part to one of the most famous streets in the world to running right through it: Broadway. This is the story of how the Upper West Side transformed from a rural landscape to one of NYC’s most desirable neighborhoods in under a century, and the drama and scandals it had along the way.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the secrets of the Upper West Side, one of the most desirable and influential neighborhoods in New York City that is steeped in entertainment, crime, and history.
Led by NYC Tour Guide Gary Dennis, our digital showcase of the (Upper) Upper West Side — between 95th to 116th Sts from Broadway to Riverside Drive — will include:
- The importance of Broadway, and its evolution from a dirt path to one of the most famous street in the world
- How the neighborhood became home to an eclectic mix of residents and industries, including wealthy and renowned industrialists, retailers, doctors, inventors, artists, actors, musicians and the movie business
- An Art Deco Himalayan-mountain-of-a-building with an incredible past, not to mention being the “spooky building” inspiration in one of the biggest movies of all time
- A look at a row of historic mansions built for the wealthy, one of which played a role in a notorious crime in the 1930s
- The story of how a street in the Upper West Side almost become another “Billionaires Row,” if it weren’t for some legal wrangling
- Famous film and TV shows that were shot in the neighborhood
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Gary — any and all questions about the Upper West Side are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.Buy tickets/get more info now