‘The Original Waldorf-Astoria Hotel: Battle of the Astors’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
What better way to show your overly pretentious aunt that you deserve her place as New York’s top socialite than to build a 13-story hotel filled with strangers and transients right next to her private residence? And how about responding to that towering insult, and defending your mother, by demolishing her house in order to erect an even larger hotel? This tit-for-tat of epic proportions was at the center of a very real Gilded Age feud over whether Caroline Schermerhorn (Mrs. William Backhouse) Astor or her nephew’s wife, Mary (Mrs. William Waldorf) Astor would be crowned as “the” Mrs. Astor in high society.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the dramatic story behind the Waldorf-Astoria hotel — originally built as two separate hotels by dueling families in the Astor Family lineage, they would soon combine to form the era’s benchmark of luxury accommodation.
Led by Nicki Woodard, historical documentarian producer and creator of the As The Money Burns podcast, our journey back in time to the legendary Waldorf-Astoria hotel will include:
- How an Astor Family dispute between John Jacob Astor IV’s mother and his cousin William Waldorf Astor led to the building of two separate hotels on the same block — The Waldorf (1893) and Astoria (1897) — and why they were eventually connected
- Innovations and novel creature comforts found in the hotel, including private bathrooms and electricity
- A digital walkthrough of The Waldorf-Astoria using rare archival images to see its most famous parlors, ballrooms, and suites
- Notable people associated with the hotel, including hotelier George Boldt, maîtred’ Oscar Tschirsky, and female civil engineer Marian Sarah Parker
- Stories of the hotel’s most famous occupants and events, including the strong connection with the Titanic
- The demolition of the hotel in 1929, and what iconic landmark went up in its place
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Nicki — any and all questions about the Waldorf-Astoria are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
The Waldorf-Astoria Series
Part 1: ‘The Original Waldorf-Astoria Hotel: Battle of the Astors’ Webinar
Part 2: ‘The Waldorf-Astoria New York: Manhattan’s Grandest Hotel’ Webinar
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.
Categories: Arts, Historic Sites, Hidden Spots, VirtualBuy tickets/get more info now