‘The Statue of Liberty: Wild Idea to the Mother of Exiles’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
Perhaps the most famous statue in the modern world, the Statue of Liberty has stood tall in the middle of New York Harbor since 1886, serving as a beacon of hope and freedom. But without the perseverance of an army of advocates — including a French politician, newspaper publisher, and New York poet — the Statue would have never made it off the drawing board. This is the incredible true story of the “Mother of Exiles,” and the series of trials and tribulations it has overcome for over a century to remain that symbol of opportunity to people all around the globe.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the complete history of the Statue of Liberty, and what elevated it’s status from a potential eyesore to one of the most iconic sites in the world.
Led by NYC Tour Guide Michael Morgenthal, who has guided visitors to Liberty Island for 10 years, our virtual experience of the Statue of Liberty — formally known as “Liberty Enlightening the World” — will include:
- How the Statue of Liberty was conceived, from a French politician/writer who never set foot in the United States to a young French architect who hearkened back to ancient times to find inspiration for her appearance
- The dramatic story of how the statue was financed, and how a Hungarian-born New York newspaper publisher and a poet’s 14-line poem saved the Statue from financial disaster
- How an emerging French engineer using a revolutionary design for the interior of the Statue ensured “Lady Liberty” would last for ages
- The relatively unknown story of how the Statue was nearly destroyed from an explosion during World War I by enemy saboteurs— one of the first terrorist attacks in U.S. history
- The various cycles of decay and restoration of the Statue of Liberty, and how the Statue emerged from the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Mike — any and all questions about the Statue of Liberty are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
“The virtual tour inside and seeing how the torch was moved in 2019 was unique and interesting! All was great!” -Frank
“I liked everything, especially the virtual tour inside the Statue – and even up into the torch!” -Marianne
“videos of construction & of torch, great storytelling, his personal connection (grandparents from Ukraine), precise history & social history too, great comments about exclusion of women @ opening, good humor all thru.” -Sharon
“Michael is an amazing presenter, and I am obsessed with the statue of Liberty!!!” -Patricia
“Host was knowledgeable, had great visuals including video, and made interactive personal connections with viewers” -Kathy
“Loved hearing the history of The Statue of Liberty. This is one of the best I have taken from NYAC” -Melissa
“Knowledgeable tour guide, great media (photos, slides, video)” -Elizabeth
“I learned so much – loved the pictures – loved Mike’s commentary and loved the content” -Nancy
“Presenter was great and very knowledgable. Great pictures and stories” -MiriamBuy tickets/get more info now