‘Tony Bennett: The Best Singer in the Business’ Webinar
At 94 years old today, no other singer has had a career like Tony Bennett. From his first hit in 1950 at the age of 24 to hitting number #1 on the charts 65 years later with the album release of Cheek to Cheek (co-released with Lady Gaga), Tony’s career has been remarkable for both its longevity and diversity. While he famously left his heart in San Francisco, he is, and will always be, a lifelong New Yorker — this is the story of how an unassuming kid born and raised in Astoria, Queens became one of the greatest singers and performers the world has ever known.
Join New York Adventure Club for an in-depth look at the life and legacy of singer and performer Tony Bennett, who has had one of the most outstanding careers in all of American music.
Led by award-winning author Will Friedwald — who collaborated with Tony Bennett on his autobiography, The Good Life (as well as Sinatra: The Song Is You and the new Straighten Up and Fly Right: The Life and Music of Nat King Cole) — our deep dive into the professional and personal life of the greatest singer alive will include:
- The humble beginnings of this remarkable artist, who as the youngest son of a poor family of Italo-American immigrants living in Long Island City, struggled to survive during the great depression
- The inside secret of how, and why, Tony has been able to stay so consistently great for so long
- Insights on Tony’s parallel career as a professional visual artist, who has had his art pieces — from paintings and drawings to portraits and landscapes — featured in exhibitions around the world
- A discussion around the many artists Tony has worked with throughout his career, from Count Basie and Judy Garland, to Frank Sinatra and Elvis Costello, to Lady Gaga and Bill Evans
- Rare clips and video footage from Tony’s classic songs and great hits, including Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Because of You, Blue Velvet, Rags to Riches, I Left My Heart in San Francisco, I Wanna Be Around, and The Good Life
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Will — any and all questions about Tony Bennett are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Will Friedwald is a featured arts writer for The Wall Street Journal and Vanity Fair, and the award-winning author of ten books on music and popular culture, including the new Straighten Up and Fly Right: The Life and Music of Nat King Cole, as well as A Biographical Guide To The Great Jazz And Pop Singers, Sinatra: The Song Is You, Stardust Melodies, Tony Bennett: The Good Life, Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies, and Jazz Singing. He has written over 600 liner notes for compact discs, received ten Grammy nominations, and appears frequently on television and other documentaries. He is also a consultant and curator for Apple Music.Buy tickets/get more info now