AMNH Presents: Unseen Oceans
Where: American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
212-769-5100 Price: Admission to the Museum and the exhibition is $28 for adults, $16.50 for children, and $22.50 for seniors and students.
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
Visitors to Unseen Oceans will embark on a journey that takes them from the oceans’ sunlit surface to inky depths as they discover the latest in ocean science and encounter the researchers and technologies powering exploration today.
Visitors will explore a series of circular, media-rich galleries that will showcase a range of marine ecosystems and introduce a new generation of scientists who are using cutting-edge research tools and developing new methods to explore the oceans top to bottom. Exhibition highlights include:
- a 180-degree, high-resolution screen where life-sized 3D animations of ocean giants including blue whales, giant squid, and great white sharks swim by visitors
- microscope stations to view live rotifers (a type of zooplankton)
- a suspended display of biofluorescent species—showing the diversity of undersea animals that absorb and re-emit light
- a virtual ride in a submersible into the shadowy depths and a photo-op station at a full-size model of a Triton sub
- an interactive media installation featuring schooling fish that react to visitors’ movements
- a magnetic sand table with a dynamic live projection where young visitors can learn about ocean topography by digging trenches and forming islands
- live marine animals including iridescent, bioluminescent comb jellies as well as seahorses, pipefishes, and chain catsharks whose vivid fluorescence was only recently discovered
Finally, the exhibition will highlight the many urgent threats to the oceans’ vital abundance, including climate change, overfishing, and habitat degradation, and the many mysteries that still remain for young ocean scientists to illuminate in the years to come.
Lead funding for Unseen Oceans and its educational resources is provided by OceanX, an initiative of the Dalio Foundation.
The American Museum of Natural History gratefully acknowledges the
Richard and Karen LeFrak Exhibition and Education Fund.
Unseen Oceans is generously supported by Chase Private Client.
Admission to the Museum and the exhibition is $28 for adults, $16.50 for children, and $22.50 for seniors and students. For tickets, the public should call 212-769-5200 or visit www.amnh.org.Buy tickets/get more info now