Drugs in Documentary Films: A Showcase
Where: Open Society Foundations–New York
224 W. 57th St.
212-548-0600 Price: Free
Click here to buy tickets or for more information from the venue's website
See other events in these categories:
In advance of June 26, a global day of solidarity with people affected by drug policies, please join the Open Society Foundations and PBS POV for a reception and dialogue with filmmakers whose movies provide an inside look at a diversity of harmful effects on individuals and communities across the globe under the current drug control regime.
The showcase will include 10-minute clips of each film, which feature a range of perspectives and issues including prison overcrowding, the criminalization of sacred indigenous plants, and violence and poverty in marginalized communities.
- Violeta Ayala is the director of Cocaine Prison.
- István Gábor Takács is the director of A Day in the Life: The World of Humans Who Use Drugs.
- Justine Nagan (moderator) is executive director of American Documentary, Inc. and POV.
- Litay Ortega and Nicholas Spiers are the directors and producers of New Perspectives on Salvia Divinorum.
- German Ramirez is the director of Hayuguas.
- Bernardo Ruiz is the director of Kingdom of Shadows.
Refreshments will be served.
Learn more about the June 26 global day of action to promote drug policy reform by visiting supportdontpunish.org.