‘Prospect Park: The Creation of Brooklyn’s Green Paradise’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
By the mid-1800s, residents of Brooklyn were tired of their primary recreation grounds being a cemetery — a true urban green space for the public was needed. Fortunately, the President of the Brooklyn Board of Park Commissioners couldn’t have agreed more, urging for “a rural resort, where the people of all classes, escaping from the glare, and glitter, and turmoil of the city, might find relief for the mind.” This is the definitive story of how Prospect Park came to be, and has prospered ever since.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the incredible story behind Prospect Park — designed by Central Park architects Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux, this 536 acre park in Brooklyn was the borough’s first major urban green space, and one that remains as coveted as when it opened in 1867.
Led by licensed NYC tour guide Kyle Sallee, our virtual deep dive into Prospect Park’s artistry, architecture, and influential figures throughout the past 150 years will include:
- The origin story behind Prospect Park and why a great park of Brooklyn was so desperately needed in the mid 19th-century
- How the park’s design was transformed by Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux from a Central Park knock-off to what many consider to be their crowning achievement
- The role of the Brooklyn Parks Commission in creating a more enjoyable and welcoming park, and how they won over a skeptic public in the process
- A closer look at the three distinct regions that make up Prospect Park, from highlights within them to how architectural contemporaries picked up where the original designers left off
- The evolution of the park in the second half of the twentieth century, mainly led by the New York Parks Department and the Prospect Park Alliance
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Kyle — any and all questions about Prospect Park are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10/
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Kyle Sallee is a Brooklyn based actor and tour guide with a decade of experience in leading programming across several New York City parks. Kyle is the founder of Central Park Food Tours, and has been recently featured in the podcast series Bar None. Currently, Kyle is the host of Virtual Park Bites, a Facebook Live series devoted to by-request examinations of park life across the city, as well as the trivia host of New York Adventure Club’s Virtual Group Trivia Night.