‘The Untold History of Brooklyn Heights’ Webinar
Where: No Location
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
From its beginnings in the early 1800s as a retreat for wealthy New Yorkers escaping the overcrowding of lower Manhattan, to the modern neighborhood that looks much like it did 100 years ago, Brooklyn Heights has a fascinating history to tell, one that in many ways mirrors the journey of New York itself. This is the story of where modern Brooklyn was born, and why it remains one of the most prominent and vital neighborhoods in all of New York City.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the rich tapestry and lesser-known tales of Brooklyn Heights, a New York City neighborhood that has shaped American history and culture throughout the past 200 years.
Led by NYC Tour Guide Michael Morgenthal, our virtual exploration of this small, yet influential waterfront neighborhood will include:
- A look at its pivotal role in The American Revolution, and how The Continental Army was almost squashed there in 1776
- A discussion around the many religious institutions based in the neighborhood, including the rise and recent departure of the Jehovah’s Witnesses
- Stories of the neighborhood’s strong ties to the abolitionist movement, from homes that were reputed stops on the Underground Railroad to pastor Henry Ward Beecher of Plymouth Church, whose strong support for the abolition of slavery enticed Abraham Lincoln to speak there on several occasions
- A deep dive into literary giants who called Brooklyn Heights their home, including Walt Whitman, Truman Capote, and Thomas Wolfe
- The past, present, and future of development and preservation in Brooklyn Heights, from the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge, to the birth of the landmarks preservation movement, to the Brooklyn–Queens Expressway’s (BQE) construction and now controversial plans for its reconstruction
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Mike — any and all questions about Brooklyn Heights are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually! $10.
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
“Growing up in Brooklyn Heights as did my entire family, grandparents, uncles, cousins, etc. I still own a co-op on Montague St across from the promenade and always knew their was something special about the area but the “secrets” hidden underneath the sidewalks we walk on and some of the houses history was a surprise to me!” -Maureen
“I loved the knowledge and enthusiasm of the presenter. Brooklyn Heights is one of my favorite NYC neighborhoods, and now even more so thanks to this event!” -Hannah
“Very informative, and the flow of the virtual tour kept me interested. Did not feel like 2 hours!” -Nanette
“Well organized interesting commentary. Great photos. Covered many aspects if the neighborhood. Excellent presenter.” -Clara
“Good guide with lots of interesting stories. I liked that he touched on a wide variety – real estate, famous people, religion, slave history, novel tidbits, etc.” -Jessica
“Mike was amazing. Well spoken and well-versed in lots of facts.” -Gaby
“Michael is an excellent guide. All the facts and photos were very interesting. I learned a lot! Thanks.” -Fran
“Excellent adaptation for on-line format, a lot of interesting information without going unnecessary deep into details.” -YevgeniyaBuy tickets/get more info now