American Museum of Natural History Presents: Milstein Science Series: Prehistoric Ocean Dwellers
Where: American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
212-769-5100 Price: Free for Members or with Museum Admission
Buy tickets/get more info now
See other events in these categories:
While dinosaurs such as Tyrannosaurus rex roamed the land, mighty marine animals like plesiosaurs ruled the sea. Discover prehistoric marine animals and how they are related to modern ocean dwellers. Try hands-on activities, meet scientists, and experience dynamic performances in this family-friendly science festival.
Exploration Stations | 11 am–4 pm
Look at Museum collections, talk with scientists, and engage in hands-on activity stations.
- Meet the Experts—Ask your questions, hear stories about field research, and learn what it takes to be a paleontologist.
- Dig Pit—Pick up the tolls of a paleontologist, and dig through the model of an ancient seabed.
- Museum Collections— Examine a variety of prehistoric aquatic specimens from the Museum’s collections.
- Size and Scale— Experience the size and scale of prehistoric creatures with the Chewonki Foundation, and see how they compare to modern marine animals.
- Sharks— Sharks have lived in Earth’s oceans for 450 million years. Explore the adaptations of these unique creatures with the New York Aquarium and New York Seascape.
- Touch Tank— Get up-close with several ocean species that existed during the time of dinosaurs, and can still be found today. Led by the Maritime Aquarium.
- How Fossils Form— Learn about the process of fossilization, and create your own fossil model of a prehistoric marine animal to take home.
Prehistoric Puppet Performance| 2pm & 4 pm
The songs and puppetry of Rainbow Puppet Productions take you on a musical excursion back in time, to when dinosaurs roamed the land and marine animals ruled the sea. Featuring a new song provided by actress Carol Channing.
The Milstein Science Series is proudly sponsored by the Irma and Paul Milstein Family.Buy tickets/get more info now